The Hex R1200LC ezCAN system is compatible with these BMW LC (liquid-cooled) motorcycles:
- R1200GS LC - K50
- R1200GS Adventure - K51
- R1200R LC - K53
- R1200RS LC - K54
- R1200RT LC - K52
- R1250GS - K50
- R1250GSA - K51
- R1250RT - K52
Installation of the ezCAN (GEN I) accessory controller on the R1200LC
See detailed installation information for the BMW R1200LC series on the Hex ezCAN website.
ezCAN "R1200LC" kit contents
- Hex ezCAN R1200LC GEN II module
- MicroUSB programming cable
- Velcro strips to secure the ezCAN
- Cable ties x 4
- Accessory connectors (type Sumitomo) 2-wire x 4
- Connector caps (to protect unused output connectors from water/dust) x 2
What is the ezCAN?
The ezCAN is a device that allows you to easily connect additional accessories (such as lights, brake lights, horn, heated seat/clothing, GPS, dashcam, mobile charger, etc.) to BMW motorcycles without cutting or joining any original wires, and control those accessories using the original switches of the motorcycle.
Possible Accessories controlled by the ezCAN
Using only a single direct (fused) connection to the battery, the ezCAN module provides four (software-configurable) powered outputs (five for the R1200LC/K1600). Each individual output is isolated and limited from short-circuits/overloading, so protecting the battery and electrical system.
There are Hex ezCAN modules available for
- BMW F800, R1200, R1200LC (liquid-cooled), R1250GS/RT and K1600 series
For details of the output configurations available, see the software section below.
Why use the ezCAN?
Hexcode ezCAN Explanatory Video
Traditionally the installation of extra equipment requires
- splicing of the power-supply cables into the electrical system
- addition of control cables
- installation of extra switches.
Adding extra equipment to the existing wiring on BMW motorcycles often will not work initially as the ECU may detect the extra load/current as a fault: a trip to the dealer is required to re-program the ECU to permit/ignore the extra current.
The ezCAN avoids these problems, and since no cutting or joining of original wires is necessary, it does not invalidate the warranty.
- Four individually-fused/protected channels.
- Waterproof and dustproof - the control module is completely sealed from water ingress and the output cables use high-quality automotive connectors with sealing sleeves
- The bike's original switch manages everything - no additional switches required to control your accessories.
- Increase safety - flashing lights increase your visibility and so your safety.
- Does not invalidate the warranty: no cables are cut or tapped.
- Plugs directly into CAN-Bus connectors.
- Compact design - fits perfectly under the seat
- Software configuration via USB (Mac/Windows PC).
- Download and install the HEX ezCAN software.
- Install the ezCAN cable under the seat (secured with the included Velcro).
- Connect the ezCAN battery cables directly to the battery.
- Plug the ezCAN data connectors into the CAN-Bus.
- Plug your accessories into the ezCAN output cables/channels.
- Connect a computer to the ezCAN via the microUSB cable.
- Use the software to configure the function and behaviour of each ezCAN output.
There are more bike-specific installation videos and guides on the ezCAN website.
The configuration software is available for both Windows PC and Apple Mac.
Hex ezCAN software - installation and use
Initially a configuration has to be chosen for each channel as seen in the image.
Although each channel has a maximum current output (1-10A/25A peak, 2-10A/25A peak, 3-4A, 4-4A), these can be individually limited to a current suitable for the connected device, for better protection.
The time-out/delay setting is used to keep devices powered when the ignition is switched off/on briefly.
Options - Auxiliary Lights
- The instrument cluster has a light sensor which influences the original lights for day or night riding. The ezCAN extends this functionality to allow different brightnesses for day/night riding and with low/high beam use.
- All aux. lights can be switched on/off by holding in the turn cancel button (R1200LC/K1600) or the Trip Info button (F800/R1200) for 3 seconds. If configured, the other outputs may remain active when the lights are deactivated.
- Turn off one aux. light when the adjacent indicator is used.
- Flash (strobe) the aux. lights when the horn is used.
- Flash aux. lights three times (eg. for overtaking). Activated by pressing the High-beam switch quickly three times.
- Flash aux. lights when the hazard/emergency lights are operated (inversely synchronised).
F800/R1200 only: 3-Wire mode for light dimming. In channel configurations 1 & 2, the aux. lights turn off when the indicators are in use, separate control is not possible in 3-wire mode.
K1600, R1200LC/R1250GS/RT only: the MultiController can control the brightness of the aux. lights. Hold the wheel left for more than 3 seconds to access this function, then rotate the wheel to control the intensity of the aux. lights.
Options - Auxiliary Brake/Rear Lights
The brightness can be set independently for the aux. rear light and aux. brake light.
Aux. Rear light
The bike's original rear light is always on with the ignition. An aux. rear light may be off when the ignition is on.
Note that a too-bright rear light may reduce the effective visibility of the brake light(s). The brake lights should always be brighter than the rear lights.
Aux. Brake light
The bike's original brake light is only activated when braking. An aux. brake light may be activated under other circumstances eg. rapid deceleration. It may also flash, to counteract the effect of a bright aux. rear light.
Other Options for Brake lights
- Always On (no flashing)
The aux. brake light illuminates when braking, but does not flash.
The aux. brake light flashes when braking.
- Flashing - California legal
On braking, the aux. brake light flashes four times for one second and then remains illuminated.
- Emergency Stop
The aux. brake light flashes when the deceleration is greater than 21km/h per second (when the speed is more than 50km/h) either due to engine braking or normal braking. The light will continue to flash until the brakes are released.
- California legal + Emergency Stop
Under normal braking the aux. brake light will flash and then remain on. Under strong deceleration it will also flash.
The auxiliary horn circuit is activated by the bike's original horn switch/in conjunction with the original horn.
Hex ezCAN Promotional Video
Review/Installation - The Missenden Flyer
Review/Description - Twisted Throttle
Review/Description - Mark on a Bike
DENALI CANsmart / Hexcode ezCAN
Both the DENALI CANsmart and the Hexcode ezCAN are developed and manufactured by Hexcode, the creators of the GS-911 BMW Diagnostic tool. The CANsmart and ezCAN was launched in 2018, and the ezCAN GEN II in 2019.
The DENALI CANsmart is designed to offer a plug & play solution with DENALI lights and the SoundBomb horns, all using the same style of connector, so no cutting or splicing is required. No extra connectors are included with the CANsmart.
The Hexcode ezCAN is designed to be used with any accessory and so includes matching connectors to fit to those accessories.
The ezCAN GEN I/original version uses different connectors to DENALI.
The ezCAN GEN II version uses the same connectors as DENALI, has more software options available and has high power outputs on all four channels.
| ||DENALI CANsmart ||Hex ezCAN GEN I ||Hex ezCAN GEN II |
|Software/ Control |
|Most common options only ||Most common options only ||All options on all channels |
|Outputs ||Two high power |
Two low power
|Two high power |
Two low power
|Four high power |
|Connector Type ||Sumitomo MT |
(used on DENALI lights)
|Superseal ||Sumitomo MT |
(used on DENALI lights)
|Extra Connectors Included ||No ||Yes ||Yes |
|Module Body ||Black 55mm ||Silver 55mm ||Silver 76mm |
All products supplied by Motorvista include instructions in english and spanish.
For more information, please visit this product's website.
There are currently no product reviews.