This Michelin Tyre Pressure Monitoring System is compatible with motorbikes, scooters, mopeds and bicycles.
The system constantly monitors the tyre pressures while riding and will indicate warnings for each tyre for under-pressure, over-pressure, fast leakage and high temperature.
Why Use a TPMS?
For many years Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) have been standard equipment for commercial vehicles and cars, but not for motorcycles, despite the dangers of incorrect pressures being well-known and absoutely critical for two-wheeled vehicles.
Effects of an under-inflated tyre:
- Reduced contact with the road, degrading the handling performance and the tyre may even be pulled off the rim
- More susceptible to damage from road debris
- May over-heat
- The engine has to work harder and so fuel consumption increases
- The tyre suffers premature wear.
Effects of an over-inflated tyre:
- Wears unevenly
- Has reduced handling performance
- Has poor ride comfort
Given that tyre condition and performance can be a mortal factor for a motorcycle, the use of a TPMS is something that all motorcyclists should consider as a primary safety device.
Michelin Bike TPMS – How it works
A sensor is installed on each valve stem to measure the pressure and temperature of the tyre. The compact display shows the current pressure, alternating between the front and rear tyre.
The display will display a warning light for these conditions:
- if the pressure drops by 15%
- if the pressure drops by 25% (enhanced warning)
- when the pressure is dropping continuously by 2 psi/min / 0.14 bar/min
- if the pressure increases by 35%
- if the tyre has a high temperature (often an indicator of an imminent failure/blowout)
- Inflate the cold tyres to the correct pressure.
- Install the sensors. If desired, locking nuts are provided for a more secure fixing.
At the moment of installation, the sensor records the current tyre pressure as the correct/base reference pressure, so there is no need to make any further adjustments or programming.
Subsequent warnings are based on the difference from this original tyre pressure.
The display has a magnetic base and so may be mounted anywhere appropriate, no wires or connections are necessary.
Sensors: the valve sensor combines an accelerometer, pressure sensor and temperature sensor in a tiny cap that weighs only 8 (eight!) grams.
The battery in the sensor should last 3-5 years depending on use.
When parked, the sensors go into a standby mode to save the battery.
Display: the onboard display is charged by an inductive usb charger and normally lasts 2-3 months between charges.
- Tyre pressure/temperature sensors x 2 (Front and Rear)
- Tyre sensor locking nuts x 2 (optional to use)
- Tyre locking nut spanner x 1
- Display unit with magnetic base x 1
- USB Charger (inductive) for display unit x 1
For more information, please visit this product's webpage.
There are currently no product reviews.