The Smart Turn System (STS) is an intelligent device that automatically cancels a flashing turn-signal after turns, lane changes, roundabouts and most other manoeuvres. It uses an advanced motion sensor to recognise the manoeuver and so determine the correct moment to cancel the turn-signal.
The STS is compatible with all mechanical indicator switches: those that have to be cancelled manually.
The STS is installed in-between the turn-signal handlebar switch and the flasher relay(s).
It is not compatible with electronic or Can-Bus based switches such as those used on some current Ducati and BMW motorcycles.
If you are unsure of the compatibility of your bike, please contact us.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a generic product which is displayed by default for all bike models. However, please check carefully the product description to confirm compatibility with your bike.
Benefits of the Smart Turn System
Most motorcycles have a mechanical manual indicator switch. This requires the rider to manually cancel the turn-signal. Very few bikes have an automatic system and even these are prone to error.
40% of riders report that they have experienced dangerous situations as a result of turn-signals such as
- Late cancelling of a turn-signal due to busy traffic conditions
- Forgetting to cancel the turn-signal due to poor indications on the dashboard
- Reluctance to use a turn-signal at all for fear of forgetting to cancel promptly
It is hard to believe that despite the advanced electronics of modern motorcycles, something as safety-related as turn signals have not benefitted from the same advances we take for granted in cars. The Smart Turn System provides the same quality of automatic turn-signal cancellation as found in cars
STS on the road demonstration - various bikes
STS on-road user test (italian, Z1000SX)
STS on-road test (promotional)
How does it work?
The STS is installed in-between the indicator switch and the indicator control relay.
When the indicator is activated, the STS controls the flasher relay, not the mechanical switch on the handlebar and so is able to also cancel the turn-signal independently of the switch.
The STS is superior to other systems due to its advanced sensor: checking lean angle, direction, vibration and acceleration many times per second. The sensor provides the data, and the inbuilt movement definitions allow it to recognise typical bike movements, based on testing with many motorcycles, riders and manoeuvres.
The STS will detect left and right turns, changes of lane, overtaking and roundabout exits (in the case of not detecting a turn, it will cancel after 15 seconds of driving).
The most important reason to use the STS is that it allows the rider to focus on the next riding decision, not the last one.
Generic Installation Steps
- The existing cables between the indicator switch and the flasher relay have to be cut and joined to the STS input and output cables.
- An ignition-key controlled power and earth connection is required to the STS (do not connect it directly to the battery).
- The STS unit is installed on the chassis, roughly horizontally (for best results), pointing forward to detect movement.
- The bike’s mechanical indicator switch normally stays on (latches) when a turn-signal is activated. This action must be changed so it doesn’t stay on, allowing the STS to control the indicator relay.
This is easily done by installing two small foam spacers inside the switch to stop it from staying on. This converts the switch from latching to momentary.
Generic Installation Instructions can be downloaded here.
All products supplied by Motorvista include instructions in english and spanish.
EU/electrical conformance testing documents can be downloaded here.
Smart Turn System - Example Installation
STS Unboxing, installation and use - Motorcycle Adventures
Reviews in print
STS now used by the Slovenian emergency services
Comparison with other automatic turn-signal cancelling systems
Common methods used by other systems are:
- Measuring the time or distance since the turn-signal was activated. This uses pre-set parameters to decide when to cancel and so works correctly only in simple situations.
- Measuring the lean/bank angle of the bike. This uses pre-set parameters to decide when to cancel and will often fail to cancel after a gentle turn, roundabouts or lane changes.
- Comparison of front and rear wheel speeds. Works in some situations but not for lane changes or roundabouts.
No simple solution will work 100% of the time since riding a motorcycle is not a simple procedure.
STS v. Harley Davidson self-cancelling system
The Smart Turn System is far more accurate than other systems as it senses various parameters:
- Inclination (bank/lean angle) of the bike
These parameters are compared with a library of manoeuvres stored in the STS memory to ensure the indicators are cancelled at the correct moment.
More about the manufacturer MOVALYSE d.o.o.: http://www.netocratic.com/smart-turn-system-slovenia-111346
For more information, please visit this product's website.
There are currently no product reviews.